The fate of a bill to fund transgender treatments that permanently destroy the reproductive systems of minors is now in the hands of nine California State Senators. AB 2218, authored by Assemblyman Miguel Santiago (D) Los Angeles with principal co-author Senator Scott Wiener (D) San Francisco, will be heard before the nine members Senate Health Committee when they return to the capitol at the end of the month. The time to convince these legislators to dump this bill is now, while they are home in their districts.
AB 2218 has already made its way through the Democrat-dominated state Assembly with little debate and approved largely along party lines. The bill establishes an “LGBT Transgender Wellness Fund,” to provide grants to nonprofits, hospitals, health care clinics (like Planned Parenthood), and other medical providers to pay for puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and mastectomies for minors, as well as cross-sex hormones and “sex-change” operations for adults. Originally the bill asked for $15 million to start the fund, but that amount was recently removed from the bill text. Now the exact amount added to the fund will be decided by the legislature at a later date.
According to Dr. Quentin Van Meter, a board-certified pediatric endocrinologist who testified against AB 2218 in the Assembly Health Committee, studies show children who are treated with cross-sex hormones for their gender confusion have “significant mental health issues,” that remain even after hormone therapy. Van Meter warned legislators that the state would be sued in the coming years for funding transgender affirming treatments for troubled and vulnerable children because they destroy healthy body tissue, sterilize the recipient, and cause irreversible damage.
Go here for more information about AB 2218:
- While CA Struggles with $56 Billion Deficit, the Legislature Considers Bill to Fund Sex-Change Operations
- Doctor Warns Legislators Not to Fund Transgender “Carousel” for Kids, Calling Treatments “Circular Hell”
- Without Blinking an Eye, California Passes Bill to Fund Sterilizing Kids
Call to Action
Equip yourself with information from the American College of Pediatricians, which details medical evidence showing “Transgender Interventions Harm Children.”
Two action options:
- If you live in the district of one of these nine Senators, (see list below) then call their district office and make an appointment to talk with the Senator personally or with a senior member of their staff. Don’t be intimidated. Staff members are used to meeting with constituents all the time. Bring your friends. Bring your family. Bring your pastor and let your Senator know about your concerns. What do you think would happen if Senators got hundreds of meeting requests regarding this bill. They would take notice. No more silence.
- Call these nine Senators’ offices and inundate them with phone calls asking them to vote no on AB 2218. Then post this article on your social media accounts and ask others to make calls too.
Senator Richard Pan (Chair)
1020 N. Street, Room 576, Sacramento, CA 95814; (916) 651-1529
2251 Florin Road, Suite 156, Sacramento, CA 95822; (916) 262-2904
Senator Melissa A. Melendez (Vice Chair)
25186 Hancock Avenue, Suite 320, Murrieta, CA 92562; (951) 894-3530
45-125 Smurr Street, Suite B, Indio, CA 92201; (760) 398-6442
Senator Lena A. Gonzalez
3939 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 107, Long Beach, CA 90807; (562) 256-7921
6550 Miles Avenue, Room 214, Huntington Park, CA 90255; (323) 277-4560
Senator Shannon Grove
5701 Truxtun Avenue, Suite 150, Bakersfield, CA 93309; (661) 323-0443
7248 Joshua Lane, Suite B, Yucca Valley, CA 92284; (760) 228-3136
Senator Melissa Hurtado
1201 E. California Avenue, Suite A, Bakersfield, CA 93307; (661) 395-2620
611 N. Douty Street, Hanford, CA 93230; (559) 585-7161
2550 Mariposa Mall, Suite 2016, Fresno, CA 93721; (559) 264-3070
Senator Connie M. Leyva
464 W. 4th Street, Suite 454B, San Bernardino, CA 92401; (909) 888-5360
101 W. Mission Blvd., Suite 111, Pomona, CA 91766; (909) 469-1110
Senator Holly J. Mitchell
700 Exposition Park Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90037; (213) 745-6656
Senator Bill Monning
1026 Palm Street, Suite 201, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401; (805) 549-3784
99 Pacific Street, Suite 575 F, Monterey, CA 93940; (831) 657-6315
701 Ocean Street, Suite 318A, Santa Cruz, CA 95060; (831) 425-0401
Senator Susan Rubio
100 S. Vincent Avenue, Suite 401, West Covina, CA 91790; (626) 430-2499